Getting your house painting done can seem like a complex project but simplifying it can result in a rewarding and long-lasting experience, for you and your loved ones. So if you’re about to embark on the journey of getting your home painted, here’s a useful guide to the 5 top things you need to keep in mind.
1. Painting is an art and a science – In today’s hazardous environment you may be tempted to give it a shot yourself, we wouldn’t recommend that. Painting a house or even just one wall in a room may not seem like much effort at first thought, but unless you’ve had some form of training or practice in the past, a lot more goes into it than you may think. Intense prep work, working knowledge of the surfaces and their characteristics, the required raw materials and a familiarity with necessary safety precautions are imperative to avoid a potential disaster on your hands.
2. Know your yes – Before you go ahead and hire someone to bring your vision alive, know what your vision really is. What will it take for you to say yes? Why are you doing this in the first place? What change would you like to bring about in your chosen space? What emotion would you like to bring out in visitors? What is the colour palette you like and which ones do you absolutely despise? Do you like textures or do solid colours strike your fancy? Will painting just one wall do the job or will it throw the rest of the house out of sync? These are just some of the kinds of questions you need to deliberate over before you begin your search for your house painting team. It’s okay not to have all the answers beforehand, but thinking about it helps you arrive at better decisions when the time comes, so you don’t regret it later. Aapka painter has a host of services geared to help you make these decisions so
3. Budget it out – There’s usually a few different options you can look at when selecting your house painting vendors.
- One man army – Commonly found in your buildings immediate vicinity, this familiar and trusty handyman is everyone’s first go to guy. Undeniably the cheapest option, the tradeoff is often on reliability and the guarantee of a consistent output. If you’re going to go ahead with your friendly neighbourhood painter, make sure you manage your own expectations going in.
- Small commercial outfits – These are a bit more professional in their setup and come with a certain guarantee of quality. Usually made up of a small team of contractors carrying a local brand name, they usually work with a fixed set of painters. While this option will typically cost you a bit more than the first one, you can be more assured of a professional output.
- Speciality painters – If you’re looking for something a bit out of the ordinary like a depiction of your kids favourite superhero on their ceiling, you may want to opt for a more specialised approach. Mural painting, stenciling, texturing and so on are nice areas where you want an expert in the field so you get exactly what you want.
4. Prepare your space – Now that you’re ready to get the job started, it’s time to get your space ready for the painting. In today’s dangerous environment, there are a lot of safety protocols that may have been put in place by your building or residential society so make sure you’re aware of them in advance. Relay the necessary information to your painters so they can adhere to the rules as well. Within your house, keep the area you want to be painted completely clean and empty out or cover up all the furniture. Last but not least, always have your mask on when the painters are over, this is essential for the safety of everyone involved. If you’d like to read more about the safety precautions to take when getting your house painting done during COVID-19 times, check out this post.
5. Patch test is the best – Sometimes, even the keenest of eyes can be deceived by the perception of colour. While you may have spent a lot of time poring over color palettes, shades, textures and pastels of all shapes and sizes, nothing beats seeing the real thing. Before the paint job begins in full, request a patch test. This is basically when your selected colours and paints are painted on the actual wall you’d like to redo, but in a small square patch. This simple exercise will allow you to see what you are getting into, kind of like a trailer to a movie you’d like to watch. It’s the best way to avoid being stuck with something you didn’t bargain for and suffer the consequences later.
If you’re ready to take your first steps towards making your house more like a home, Aapka painter has a host of services geared to help you navigate the decisions you need to make. Our expert team of advisors, design consultants and painters will spend quality time to understand your unique needs and tailor a solution that works best for your house painting needs. Book your free inspection today then sit back, relax and leave the rest to us.
Painting Cost Calculator lets you select the best suitable paint and the paint quantity required to give your house walls a new perspective altogether.